Mental health – support for health professionals
Health professionals should offer people with a mental illness smoking cessation intervention. The following programs are available to help staff to help patients with mental illness quit smoking.
This evidence based, best practice training program has been developed by the National Drug Research Institute specifically for Smoke Free WA Health. All WA Health Staff are encouraged to complete the training to achieve competency in brief intervention and motivational interviewing.
Sessions run by the Mental Institute Fellowship of Western Australia (MIFWA)
- Referrals can be made to MIFWA on discharge should the patient wish to attend classes and receive further support in quitting. The classes run in the form of 10 week group sessions and are currently held in Fremantle and Midland, Rockingham and Mandurah. If a mental health service area would like group sessions in their area they should contact MIFWA to discuss. These classes are free.
- Should a health service have a group of patients interested in quitting they can request a Talking Tobacco session to take place onsite. These sessions are relaxed brief interventions which encourage discussion about the reasons for quitting in a positive and comfortable atmosphere. The classes offer ongoing support during admission and allow for patients to be easily linked into support classes on discharge.
- MIFWA can deliver training to staff to enable them to run 10 week group classes on site.
- Sessions are free.
- Find out more about the program (PDF 1MB)
- Contact the National Tobacco and Mental Illness Project at MIFWA on 6365 2999 or 9250 2884 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancer Council Western Australia: Fresh Start courses
- Cancer Council WA provides training for health professionals in smoking cessation. Though courses are not specifically designed for staff working with mental illness, they are still relevant and elements of mental health are incorporated in the training.
- To register for a course or for more information contact the Fresh Start Coordinator on 9388 4307 or email email@example.com.
Publications on Quit Now website
- Smoking and mental illness: A guide for health professionals (PDF 787KB)
- Smoking and mental illness (PDF 910KB) - contains information on smoking and mental illness, reasons to quit and identifying and coping with triggers.
- Supporting someone with a mental illness to quit smoking (PDF 932 KB)
Staff should also be aware of the support available for patients on discharge and be aware of the following programs that patients can be referred to:
- MIFWA: Telephone 9250 2884 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Neami: Telephone 9498 0477 or Horizons on 9495 4500
- Quitline referral form (PDF 1.24MB)
File FormatsSome documents for download on this website are in a Portable Document Format (PDF). To read these files you might need to download Adobe® Acrobat Reader.