Mental health – supporting a family member or friend to quit smoking
Those with a mental illness who wish to quit smoking will benefit greatly from your support.
- Stay positive: Avoid being critical and negative
- Discuss what types of support they find useful and be encouraging
- Learn about the process of quitting and set up agreements /goals
- Discuss and tackle obstacles
- Encourage a visit to their general practitioner
- Give them confidence that they can do it – let them know you will support them and look at other support available together (see support for patients/consumers)
- Learn to distinguish between nicotine withdrawal systems and mental illness
- Don’t argue: Positive and open communication is key to being an effective supporter
- Avoid giving direct advice (what they ‘should’ do) - suggest strategies and offer information instead.
File FormatsSome documents for download on this website are in a Portable Document Format (PDF). To read these files you might need to download Adobe® Acrobat Reader.