Department of Health, Western Australia >
Environmental Health Directorate >
(formerly Dairy Safety Branch, Food Safety Branch, Meat Safety Branch)
As the lead agency, the Food Unit has a key role to ensure systems are in place:
- To provide input to the national food regulatory framework and development of food laws in Australia.
- To identify and manage risks that result in food in Western Australia (WA) being safe and suitable and meeting national food standards.
Services and Programs
The Food Unit will develop a strategic direction for the administration of the food regulatory framework and food laws in WA, being responsible for:
- Developing a strategic plan.
- Facilitating key provisions to achieve consistent implementation of the Food Act 2008.
- Coordinating the Environmental Health aspects of food recalls and investigations of food borne illness.
- Registration and auditing of certain Class One food businesses.
- Monitoring food safety and nutrition developments including the coordination of State wide food monitoring programmes.
- Input into the development of risk management tools and systems.
- Facilitating departmental and whole of government input into national policies and standards relating to food safety and nutrition in the context of public health.
- Providing food safety and nutrition related public health information.
- Informing Local Government, businesses, other government departments, and the community about food matters in general.
Grace Vaughan House,
227 Stubbs Terrace,
Shenton Park WA 6008
PO Box 8172,
Perth Business Centre WA 6849
||(08) 9388 4999
||(08) 9388 4955
|This unit last updated: 29 Jul 2008, 2:44pm