Human Research Ethics Committee
The Department of Health WA Human Research Ethics Committee (DOH HREC) is a Human Research Ethics Committee with special responsibility for oversight of the use and disclosure of personal health information held in the Department of Health data collections.
About DOH HREC
- Terms of Reference (PDF 334KB)
- Standard Operating Procedures (PDF 392KB)
- Practice Code for the Use of Personal Health Information (PDF 536KB)
- Members (PDF 220KB)
- 2016 Meeting dates (PDF 60KB)
- Project Summaries for Approved Proposals
- Annual Reports
Do you need DOH HREC approval for your project?
The HREC application process
Applicants for ethics approval please note that the Committee expects an application to be finalised (proofread, edited and corrected) before submission. This particularly applies to participant information sheets and consent forms.
Participant information sheets should be relevant to the needs of the participants in each project and written in plain English.
A full DOH HREC application comprises the WA Health Ethics Application Form or the National Ethics Application Form v2.0 (NEAF) with the WA Specific Module, plus the Application for Data Form and any relevant supporting documentation.
- WA Health Ethics Application Form (Word 673KB)
- Western Australian-Specific Module (Word 239KB)
Complete in Conjunction with the National Ethics Application Form Version 2.0 (www.neaf.gov.au (external site))
- DS001 – Application for Data Form (Word 502KB)
WA Health Information Register
The WA Health Information Register contains information about data collections within the WA health system.
- HREC003 – Annual Progress Report (Word 254KB)
- HREC004 – Final Report (Word 328KB)
- HREC005 – Amendment Request Form (Word 292KB)
- WA Health Declaration of Confidentiality (Word 126KB)
- WA Health Student Research and Confidentiality Declaration (Word 101KB)
- WA Health Research Protocol Template for Non-Clinical Trials (Word 164KB)
HREC Executive Officer
(08) 9222 4278
Research Governance at the Department of Health
The Department's Research Development Unit coordinates governance for projects conducted at the Department of Health which require access to Departmental personnel, data or tissue collections. For further information about the research governance review process or about your obligations to obtain site authorisation, please visit the website: ww2.health.wa.gov.au/Articles/N_R/Research-Governance-Office