Patient Information Retention and Disposal Schedule Version 3, 2008
The Department of Health (DOH) WA Patient Information Retention and Disposal Schedule Version 3, 2008 (‘Schedule’) is a tool for identifying and determining the retention and disposal requirements for major categories of patient records created or received by WA Health’s health care facilities.
The aims of the Schedule are to:
- support efficiencies in the management of patient records, particularly with regard to retention and disposal;
- prevent the premature destruction of records which need to be retained for a specific period of time to satisfy legal, financial and other requirements;
- authorise the destruction of those records not required for permanent retention; and
- identify records worth preserving permanently as State archives and that will be transferred to the State Records Office WA for permanent storage.
The Schedule applies to patient records held in any format, that may exist within (and be maintained by) a medical records service, or within individual departments or clinical units of public health care facilities. The Schedule supersedes RD1999035 DOH WA Patient Information Retention and Disposal Schedule Version 2, 2000. Patient records already sentenced under previously approved retention and disposal schedules which are still in the custody of WA Health, will be re-sentenced in accordance with this Schedule.
This Schedule does not apply to:
- administrative records;
- financial and accounting records;
- human resource management records; and
- other functional records (i.e. that are not patient records).
For further information refer to Operational Directive (OD 0110/08) Disposal of Records.
All staff should be aware that it is an offence under the State Records Act 2000 for any government organisation employee to destroy a government record unless the destruction is carried out in accordance with an approved disposal authority.
All enquiries and written submissions seeking amendments to the Schedule should be directed to:
Health Information Policy Consultant
Re: Patient Information Retention and Disposal Schedule Version 3, 2008
Information Management and Reporting
Department of Health, Western Australia
PO Box 8172
PERTH WA 6849
Telephone: (08) 9222 4228
Dr Peter Flett